|Job Category:||Development, Executive|
Stone Barns Center seeks an experienced director to manage the organization’s fundraising program at an exciting point in its history. Having recently celebrated its 15th anniversary, Stone Barns Center, along with our partner Blue Hill, is doubling down on our commitment to shaping an ecological food culture in which every bite we take doesn’t just support good agriculture, but catalyzes systemic change.
The ideal candidate will be a leader with at least 10 years of experience in nonprofit fundraising. The individual will be a creative and forward-thinking leader, energized to build philanthropic relationships in partnership with the leadership team, development team, and an engaged Board.
This role will be based out of the Stone Barns Center campus in Westchester County, about 25 miles north of New York City, though we are in the process of making a part-time workspace also available in Manhattan.
About Stone Barns Center
We are located on an 80-acre campus, which is home to a farm and education center anchored by a historic complex of stone farm buildings. The Center came to life through a donation of the buildings and land by the late David Rockefeller and his daughter Peggy Dulany as a tribute to David’s late wife Peggy Rockefeller, who was a pioneer of farmland conservation and worked closely with the regional farming community.
The Center’s programming engages farmers, chefs, and other industry change agents in driving positive global impact by shaping a complex, robust ecological food culture. As we double down on this work we are also in the process of planning a buildout of our campus to support our next phase of learning, teaching, and impact.
Development Director Responsibilities
The Development Director will provide strategic direction and delivery of the organization’s fundraising program, and is responsible for building the financial foundation essential for the implementation of the organization’s strategic vision.
The Development Director will work collaboratively as part of a team dedicated to securing fundraising from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government, with a strong focus on major gift strategies for individuals. The organization’s annual fundraising goals exceed $5M and are expected to grow significantly year over year.
Specific capabilities / anticipated responsibilities:
- Partnering with the organizational leadership and development team to execute a strategic fundraising plan, including an anticipated capital campaign
- Setting an annual operating plan, budget, and calendar for philanthropy goals and objectives, and tracking on metrics for judging success
- Collaborating with key team members on activation of strategic external partnerships
- Identifying prospects and developing customized major donor strategies
- Enhancing, establishing and administering innovative programs designed to achieve both short and long-range advancements in major gifts fundraising
- Collaborating with the development team in executing a middle donor prospecting, cultivation and stewardship plan to deepen engagement among these individuals and increase annual giving levels
- Proven track record in nonprofit management positions, with a focus on fundraising
- Experience managing complex fundraising strategies as well as capital campaign planning and execution
- Demonstrated success garnering major donor support and raising six- and seven-figure gifts
- Exceptional leadership and relationship-building skills as well as an exemplary work ethic
- Commitment to embed and sustain diversity, equity, and inclusion within all aspects of the organization
- A deep personal commitment to the values of health, ecology, and sustainability
Stone Barns Center offers a salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a 401k plan and paid time off.
Stone Barns Center is committed to equity and inclusion throughout every aspect of our work and team. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Stone Barns Center for Food & Agriculture
- 630 Bedford Road
- Pocantico Hills, NY 10591
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org