Director of Foundation Relations
|Job Category:||Communications, Development|
PRIMARY FUNCTION OF POSITION:
The Director of Foundation Relations will be joining a dynamic fundraising team that, over the past year, has nearly doubled Covenant House New York (CHNY)’s private foundation revenue. With an operating budget of $25 million, $1.6 million of which coming from foundations, CHNY aims to surpass our current private grant revenue in FY20. The Director of Foundation Relations position is a public-facing role responsible for achieving CHNY’s annual institutional fundraising goals by actively cultivating, developing and sustaining foundation sources of support. This role entails maintaining and enhancing current foundation program officer relationships; identifying and cultivating new sources of funding; planning and managing site visits with prospective and current funders; developing and maintaining all relevant foundation grant tracking documents; and ensuring the adherence to all internal and external proposal and reporting guidelines, deadlines and responsibilities. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Development & Communications.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Foundation Relations & Grants Development
- Strategizing with Covenant House New York leadership to meet and exceed annual fundraising goals for institutional giving.
- Cultivating new sources of support and building relationships with prospective funders through research, meetings, networking, attendance at philanthropic events, etc.
- Building deeper relationships with existing funders in order to increase revenue.
- Maintaining and expanding an active portfolio of funders, including regular check-ins via email, phone and face-to-face.
- Serving as lead point person on foundation site visits and tours.
- Playing a hands-on role in the development of letters of inquiry, proposals, reports and other written materials, to ensure high-quality, compelling and timely submissions.
- Managing and updating all tracking mechanisms, including, but not limited to:
- Master foundation contact list;
- Grant applications and reports calendar;
- Pending grants list; Grants received list; and Program-specific funding cultivation spreadsheet;
- Spearheading the transfer of information from the above-described tracking spreadsheets and lists into new customer relationship management (CRM) software, and regularly inputting foundation relation communications and activities into CRM files going forward.
Internal Departmental Liaison
- Working with CHNY’s Communications team to garner client stories and stay abreast of events for the purpose of communicating these updates to current and potential funders.
- Managing inter-departmental relationships, including but not limited to:
Working with CHNY’s Finance department on foundation grant reporting and tracking of foundation revenue, and the development of program budgets for solicitations.
Working with CHNY’s Program Compliance and Performance Measurement department on gathering data for outcome reporting, as well as developing additional outcome measures to better expressing CHNY’s impact on the clients we serve.
Covenant House International (CHI) Development Liaison
- Working with CHI’s Foundation and Corporate development team on CHNY-related grants to ensure that CHNY’s programmatic and fiscal needs are being met.
- Assisting with requests from various members of CHI’s Development department on CHNY programs, events, outcomes, finances, etc.
- Working with CHI’s Development Analytics team in implementing the new CRM at CHNY.
Other responsibilities, as needed, may include:
- Assisting in the development of government and corporate grants, as needed.
- Assisting in the creation of presentations, reports, informational brochures and other materials, as needed.
- Performing general administrative tasks related to grant development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- In-depth knowledge of the foundation funding community, and demonstrated skill in foundation and other forms of grant writing and fundraising.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel in particular) and Power Point.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and strong attention to detail.
- Exemplary interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Dedication to the mission of Covenant House, and ability to translate passion into compelling cases for support.
- Team player and be able to work with all levels of management.
- Flexible schedule for occasional weekend or evening events or deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet a demanding schedule of deadlines.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree, at minimum.
- 5+ years’ experience working with foundation funding communities, including success in securing and maintaining foundation support, proposal development and grant writing experience, and performing research and cultivation activities.
- Having an established network of foundation program officer relationships strongly recommended.
- Experience with corporate and government grants a plus.
Covenant House New York is an equal opportunity employer
Covenant House New York
- 550 10th Avenue
- NEW YORK, NY 10018
To apply for this job please visit nycovenanthouse.applicantpro.com.