Director of Development
CONGREGATION BEIT SIMCHAT TORAH
Located in New York City, Congregation Beit Simchat Torah (CBST) is a vibrant spiritual community and a progressive voice within Judaism. Founded in 1973, CBST attracts and welcomes LGBTQ and straight individuals and families who share common values. Passionate, provocative, and deeply Jewish, CBST champions a Judaism that rejoices in diversity, denounces social injustice everywhere, and strives for human rights for all.
CBST currently has 1200 individual members (not including children under 18), and 775 member households. The annual budget is $3.6 million, approximately 77% of which comes from philanthropic support.
In April 2016, after decades of renting space in the West Village, CBST moved to its permanent home at 130 West 30th Street. This was accomplished through a highly successful $25 million capital campaign, “A Home of Our Own.”
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the Board President, Senior Rabbi, and the Development Chair(s) and Committee, the Development Director is responsible for designing, implementing and leading a sustainable development strategy to support CBST’s many ambitious goals for today and for securing its financial health for the future. Development is an essential and integral part of CBST, and is interwoven in everything the synagogue does to support its Mission.
· Maintain and enhance the current giving infrastructure to expand, develop and cultivate the donor base.
· Increase funding for the capital reserve fund established to support and maintain the facility.
· Develop a strategy to establish an endowment fund to ensure the long-term sustainability of the institution.
· Seek new grant opportunities, while continuing to build upon existing relationships with family and institutional foundations.
· Lead CBST’s major annual fundraising efforts, which include its Annual Appeal, Annual Gala, two major annual Concerts, Membership, and other special funds and initiatives.
· Provide regular progress reports to Board of Directors.
· Fundraising experience in the nonprofit-social justice focused, Jewish and LGBTQ communities, preferably in the NYC metro area.
· Experience in managing annual campaigns, capital campaigns, planned giving, major gifts, corporate giving, and foundation giving is preferred.
· A track record of success as a lead solicitor of major gifts.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Minimum of 5-7+ years of increasing responsibility in fundraising.
· An undergraduate degree is required and an advanced degree is preferred.
· Knowledge of data base and fundraising software.
· Ability to work closely with Board and staff, as well as independently.
· Excellent communications skills, written and verbal.
· A collaborator who appreciates the value of building on strengths of individuals.
· Ability to think and plan broadly and strategically.
· Embrace the mission and values of CBST while creating an integrated development program and continuing the culture of giving.
· Acts as an energetic, enthusiastic representative and advocate of the synagogue both to internal and external constituents.
· Relationship builder who has strong planning and implementation skills in addition to being able to mold infrastructure while increasing organizational capacity.
· Ability to foster a team-oriented environment and mentor others is critical, coupled with a creative, innovative and entrepreneurial technique for increasing contributed income.
· Results-driven, experience establishing and using metrics to drive productivity.
Apply online using the following link:
Congregation Beit Simchat Torah (CBST)
New York's LGBTQS synagogue!
- 130 West 30th Street
- New York, NY 10001-0154
- New York
- Phone: 212-929-9498
To apply for this job please visit app.trinethire.com.