Communications Manager (Repost)
TITLE: Communications Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
BASIC FUNCTION: Nonprofit New Yorkʼs Communications Manager is a clear, direct, highly-motivated person with at least four years of nonprofit communications experience. The Communications Manager actively leads our teamʼs eﬀorts to strengthen our brand, improve our visibility, expand our reach, and enhance our impact.
BACKGROUND: Nonprofit New Yorkʼs mission is to strengthen and unite New Yorkʼs nonprofits–relentlessly building a healthy, equitable, unified, and powerful nonprofit community. We believe that healthy nonprofits are better equipped to fulfill their mission and race equity is a condition of success. And healthy nonprofits united in solidarity are an unstoppable force for good.
Organizations are only as healthy as their people and are as strong as their systems. We provide resources and education to help them reach new levels of excellence and eﬀectiveness. We rally the nonprofit community. When we come together and unite as one, our voice is amplified, our influence is magnified, and real change is possible.
With a Board representing key nonprofit subsectors, and a staﬀ of ten employees, Nonprofit New York operates on a budget of approximately $2 million per year. We are a small, but mighty, team that likes to work strategically, have fun, and be inspired. See www.nonprofitnewyork.org for more information.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Strategy & Brand Development
- Develop and manage communications and marketing strategies to promote and advance the mission
- Ensure unified voice and brand consistency in communications, including creating trainings, resources, toolkits, and brand-aligned materials
- Build and maintain relationships with media, vendors, and other organizations that move Nonprofit New Yorkʼs mission forward
- Work with leadership to identify media opportunities and implement campaigns
- Manage communications projects (e.g. organizational communications calendar, newsletters, campaigns, branding initiatives, Space Ads, Job Board), including setting timelines, assigning roles, facilitating meetings, and liaising with external partners
- Collaborate with team members to create strategic marketing campaigns, develop analytics to measure success, and assess for improvement
Content Creation & Management
- Manage social media, including content creation and reporting on data and trends
- Manage website with external website vendor
- Evaluate and report on the eﬀectiveness of communications strategies ad campaigns
- Collaborate with Systems & Strategy team to identify opportunities and challenges to be presented to the Senior Management Team
- Participate in all-staﬀ meetings, diversity, equity, and inclusion eﬀorts, professional development, and retreats
Assist with other internal and external communications duties as needed. Also, additional duties as agreed to with the Development Director.
Skills & Experience
- At least 4 years of professional work experience in a similar role
- Strong writing, presentation, and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience with online marketing tools, social media platforms, email campaign management, and publishing software
- Strong experience with email automation and WordPress are a plus
- Experience with project management involving other team members
- Understanding of nonprofit management, infrastructure, and capacity building a plus
- Demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and its impact on institutions
- Salesforce experience a plus
- Knowledge of Asana is a plus
- Knowledge of G-Suite is a plus
- Demonstrated interest in Nonprofit New Yorkʼs mission and commitment to personal growth on issues of inclusion and racial equity
- Excellent time, task, and project management
- Clear communication skills – both written and verbal
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and analytical
- Ability to work eﬀectively independently
- Demonstrated success working in a team and developing eﬀective working relationships with various programs
- Ability to integrate an understanding of racial equity concepts into work projects, team building, and interactions
- Ability to respond adeptly to rapidly changing priorities and successfully work on multiple projects at once
- Integrity, confidentiality, and discretion
- Openness to evolving responsibilities
- Sense of humor a plus
SALARY: $60,000 to $70,000 per year. Excellent working environment and generous benefits (health insurance, dental, vision, vacation, sick, holidays, and 401k retirement with 5% match contributions).
HIRING PRACTICES: Nonprofit New York is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic(s), arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, domestic violence victim status, credit history, unemployment status, veteran status, protected activity, uniformed service or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This position is primarily a sedentary role. However, the person in this position may need to occasionally move about inside the oﬀice to liaise with internal staﬀ and access files and oﬀice machinery. We anticipate that this position may be partially remote pending the current pandemic.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS: This is a full-time position, starting immediately. Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to [email protected]. Please use the subject line: “Communications Manager”. No phone calls please. Candidates will be notified if we are seeking an interview. Due to the high volume of responses that we receive, it may not be possible to respond to all inquiries. Prior to hire, candidates must complete at least two interviews. Interviews will include multiple staﬀ members. Please inform us within an ample time period prior to the interview of accommodation(s) needed.
Nonprofit New York
- 320 E 43rd Street, 3rd Floor
- New York, New York 10017
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org