Communications & Development Manager
|Job Category:||Communications, Development|
|Job Sectors:||Human Services|
Day One seeks a Communications & Development Manager to join our Development and Communications team. This position will support all aspects of communications and fundraising strategy implementation and report to the Associate Director of Development.
Day One Overview
Since 2003, Day One has been the only organization in New York devoting its full resources to preventing and addressing intimate partner violence (IPV) among young people. Day One partners with youth to end dating abuse and domestic violence through community education, supportive services, legal advocacy and leadership development. Our multi-disciplinary approach brings together a highly collaborative staff with expertise in legal, social service and education service provision. Serving New York City youth up to 24 years of age, our Direct Services Program provides direct legal representation, advice and information, individual and group counseling, and case management services to clients. Through the Community Education Program, Day One educates young people in schools and youth programs about IPV, consent, and healthy relationships, and trains professionals and parents to support teens experiencing abuse. Day One employs youth development programs to build leadership skills among youth. Our Youth Voices Network is a group of young survivors who conduct awareness and advocacy projects, sharing their stories to promote healing and prevention.
Day One recognizes that anti-violence work is emotionally demanding and professionally complex. We strive to create an office culture that invests in the wellness of staff and leads to employee sustainability. Office policies are designed to promote healthful practices and establish a supportive and collaborative environment for and among staff.
Day One uses a hybrid of remote and on-site work. This position will work on-site at the Day One office for 2-3 days per week between 10am-6pm with flex-time options. Periodic after-hours and weekend tasks, typically related to social media, are a required part of the position.
The ideal candidate will manage the following:
- Oversee strategy and implementation of communications for 25+ person nonprofit organization focused on intimate partner violence among youth, and partner with the development and administration staff to ensure communications are effectively raising the profile and enhancing the reputation of Day One in the field
- Draft written and visual content for direct email communications and fundraising campaigns using Mailchimp email CRM
- Create and review editorial content and design for online and printed communications materials
- Develop and oversee social media campaigns for networks including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and TikTok
- Maintain Day One website content and monitor analytics using Google Analytics and WordPress; update website as needed
- Compile and circulate data summarizing program achievements
- Sustain organizational focus on identity and branding
- Partner with program staff to ensure communications reflect organizational priorities and events/programming are promoted to appropriate constituencies
- Prepare press releases, and maintain media lists and media coverage story bank
- Promptly respond to media and other inquiries submitted via email/social media
- Liaise with Day One’s Board of Directors Communications Committee to coordinate strategy and implementation of communication and marketing activities
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of fundraising solicitations and campaigns
- Assist in the planning and execution of Day One’s annual Voices Against Violence Gala and other events
- Coordinate with staff responsible for data management, analyze fundraising data, and prepare reports for funding contracts using Salesforce CRM database
- Draft donation acknowledgements and appeal letters
- Develop systems to track project and grant proposals for corporate, government, and foundation funding opportunities
- Research potential donors and foundations using various resources
- Hire, train, and supervise Development and Communications interns
- Attend and support Day One meetings and events as needed and assigned
- Contribute to staff meetings, retreats, and other internal meetings with appropriate content, views and suggestions
- Meet requirements of internal staff management processes including performance reviews, supervisory meetings, work plans, etc.
- Provide administrative support and perform other duties as assigned
Ideal candidates for this position will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work in relevant field
- Minimum 2-3 years experience working in communications; nonprofit or social justice preferred
- A demonstrated passion for youth, anti-violence, anti-racist or related social justice work and a commitment to contributing to positive social change through communications
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills, as well as a meticulous attention to detail and ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Superior written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Significant experience in writing and content production; ability to capture ideas, an engaging writing style, and the ability to convey complex messages and make them accessible to a variety of audiences
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive applications and strong internet skills
- Knowledge of and experience in OR interest in working professionally with online tools and social media for communications (platforms include Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Mailchimp, Later.Com, Hootsuite, Facebook Business Manager, Google AdWords, WordPress, and Google Analytics)
- An eye for creative design and multimedia (graphic design and/or HTML proficiency a plus; some experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop preferred )
- Self-motivation and flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities in a growing organization
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Application Process: For consideration, please submit your application to Lindsay Mitcher (she/her), Associate Director of Development at [email protected] indicating “Communications & Development Manager” in the subject line. Send your resume and a cover letter which explains the value you will add in this role, your ability to uphold a strong racial equity lens in all aspects of your work, and your salary requirements. We regret that only applicants considered for the position will be contacted by Day One.
Day One does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We are genuinely committed to these principles of equity and inclusion, which are core to our organizational culture and our approach to service. To truly make a difference, we must ensure that our staff, partners, volunteers and supporters reflect the communities in which we work.
Full time position
Hybrid remote/in office
Start Date: September 2021
Day One NY
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com