The Special Events Manager is responsible for conceptualizing, planning and coordinating special events for Brooklyn Community Services, with a goal to generate sponsorships, ticket sales, donations, increased visibility and community partnerships. The Special Events Manager will also work closely with the Director for External Relations and Advancement and the Multimedia Design Manager to conceptualize and execute marketing and communications activities to promote the special events.
Current BCS events include a dinner gala (including auction), a walk/5K with peer-to-peer fundraising, cocktail parties, a panel series and a large scale volunteer initiative. Other events may include social staff events, graduation and recognition ceremonies, ribbon cutting ceremonies, donor breakfasts/lunches.
Additionally, the position will be responsible for select donor and corporate stewardship. This may include working with the Board of Directors, building event host committees, creating attractive sponsorship levels or etc.
● Work closely with the Director of External Relations and Advancement to create an events strategy. For each event, clearly define qualitative objectives and quantitative goals.
● Create an annual events calendar. Work closely with the team to develop an annual calendar of events, which includes the dinner gala and walk; critical organizational milestones (e.g., graduation receptions, ribbon cuttings, and other unique opportunities (e.g., hosted dinners); and friend raisers.
● Work with Director of External Relations and Advancement to develop event goals and benchmarks, as it relates to event attendance, revenue and etc.
● Conceptualize new special events to build BCS’s visibility and community engagement.
● Organize and implement outreach and promotion strategies to engage staff, clients, volunteers and the broader community to support BCS events. Work with PR team on media/press involvement.
● Develop the roles for staff, board members, and volunteers at events.
● Manage event logistics leading up to and on the day of the event (including event check-in, set up, break down, follow up, volunteer coordination, vendor coordination etc).
● Lead the development of run of show/program for events.
● Monitor income and expense goals for all special events. Work with Donor Relations Manager to track event fundraising.
● Develop relationships with local business and companies to build gift bags, giveaways, and in-kind donations to support special events. Occasionally solicit tickets or sponsorship sales or items for annual auction.
● Help coordinate benefit and visibility opportunities for event sponsors through the website, e-mail promos, invitations, journal and signage at events.
● Work with Multimedia Design Manager to design invitation, outreach and marketing materials to promote special events, including power point decks.
● Working with Multimedia Design Manager, execute other event marketing, including e-mail promos, save the date cards, invitations, journals, banners and event website pages.
● Support the Director of Outreach and Volunteerism on large scale volunteer events, particularly corporate volunteer days.
Donor and Corporate Stewardship
● Work with the BCS Board of Directors to cultivate donors and potential new board members. Plan quarterly “friend raisers” and fundraisers with the Board of Directors.
● Work with the team to identify and cultivate event honorees and host committee members. Work with host committees to bring in ticket sales or other revenue.
● Work closely with the External Relations team to target events to specific donor audiences, and strategize appropriate preparation and follow-up.
● Work to create a positive donor experience at events and plan for post-event stewardship.
● Manage corporate sponsorships of events, including managing sponsorship level benefits and follow-up with corporate contacts. Use events to build strong corporate relationships.
● Work with Major Gifts staff and Director for External Relations to ensure that all events are well utilized as cultivation opportunities.
● Participate in and support other ERA activities as assigned.
● BA degree and at least three years of experience
● Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
● Exemplary communication skills – written and oral.
● Exhibits track record of success in producing high-quality events.
● Professional manner and highly positive and engaging energy and the ability to effectively communicate BCS mission.
● Detail oriented, able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
● Experience with large scale awards gala or dinner.
● Ability to collaborate with diverse colleagues across departments.
● Advanced proficiency with MS office and experience with PowerPoint, Excel, mail merge and Google suite.
● Availability to occasionally work outside regular business hours as events warrant is essential.
● Experience with fundraising walk or run and fundraising auction preferred.
● Experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar database preferred.
How to apply:
Email cover letter and resume to:
Kristina Reintamm, Director of External Relations and Advancement, [email protected]
In subject line write: Special Events Manager