Deafness Specialist/Job Coach
|Job Sectors:||Human Services|
Location: 151 Lawrence St., 4th Brooklyn, NY 11201
Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Salary: $45,000 – $50,000
Brooklyn Community Services is one of Brooklyn’s first and largest non-sectarian social services agencies. BCS, which presently serves more than 10,000 individuals annually, is committed to a broad and diverse range of services including education and child care; services to strengthen families; and services to foster self-sufficiency for adults.
Reporting to the Director of Supported Employment, the Job Coach/Deafness Specialist provides the supports that deaf individuals need to obtain and maintain paid competitive employment within the community. The Deafness Specialist provides individualized job development, job placement, English to ASL and ASL to English interpretation and on the job coaching once an individual is employed.
Must have – Fluency in ASL (American Sign Language)
Must have a BA or BS plus a minimum of two years of experience in competitive employment settings with ACCES-VR clientele.
- Meet with employers in the community and educate them about deaf workers, and individuals with other disabilities.
- Provide interpretation for deaf individuals and employers during interviews (English to ASL/ASL to English).
- Develop employment opportunities in the community especially for deaf individuals.
- Assist individuals with disabilities (hearing and non-hearing) with finding and retaining employment through active, individualized job search and preparation, and post-employment job coaching at the work site.
- Develop positive working relationships with employers. Directly assist employers in communicating with individuals, to clarify job duties, to provide safety information, and to facilitate productivity, client motivation, and client attendance.
- Provide job coaching and proactive, extended support services to assigned caseload of employed clients, both at and away from the job site, to assist them to remain employed in the integrated labor market. Can include occasional evening and/or weekend work depending on client’s employment schedule, and travel within NYC as required.
- Provide individuals with travel training, counseling, case management, and other supportive services needed to maintain employment.
- Advocate for clients’ possible need for accommodation on-site as well as off-site advocacy needs.
- Assist individuals who have lost their jobs to return to employment by re-evaluating their employment goals, needs, and interests, and by assisting them with interviews. Enlist assistance of parents and natural supports.
- Complete required chart documentation and monthly reports in a timely manner.
- Fluency in ASL (American Sign Language) required.
- Must have a BA or BS plus a minimum of two years of experience in competitive employment settings with ACCES-VR clientele.
- Knowledge of employer expectations of performance and employee behaviors
- Knowledge of the local job market.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent judgment and sensitivity to the needs of clients.
- BCS and Turning Point require that all employees entering the workplace be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless an exemption is granted as a medical or religious accommodation
BCS requires that all employees entering the workplace be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless an exemption is granted as a medical or religious accommodation.
BCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
Brooklyn Community Services
Brooklyn For All
- 151 Lawrence Street - 4th Floor
- Brooklyn, New York 11201
- United States
- Phone: 7183105600
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com