About the Foundation
Brooklyn Community Foundation is the first and only public foundation solely dedicated to New York City’s largest borough. We are on a mission to spark lasting social change, mobilizing people, capital, and expertise for a fair and just Brooklyn. Since our founding in 2009, Brooklyn Community Foundation has provided over $75 million in grants to more than 300 nonprofits through our Community Fund and Donor Advised Fund programs. The Foundation is committed to racial justice and to challenging systemic racism through all aspects of our grantmaking, advocacy, operations, and governance. Visit www.BrooklynCommunityFoundation.org for more information.
The responsibilities of the Staff Accountant include but are not limited to:
• Reviewing vendor and independent contractor invoices for proper documentation, coding, and approvals
• Generating Accounts Payable Aging reports and submitting for review and payment selection
• Reviewing vendor statements and answering vendor inquiries
• Maintaining W-9 documentation for independent contractors and preparing annual 1099 filings
• Collecting and reconciling employee expense reimbursement and credit card reports
• Posting accounts payable transactions into accounting system
• Timely and accurately posts all cash receipts into accounting system and filing backup documentation
• Collecting timesheets and preparing payroll for approval and submission
• Assists with vendor and cash receipts files and supporting documentation during annual financial statement audit
• Assists with preparing budget templates during annual budgeting process
Abilities and Competencies
• High level of personal and professional integrity; discretion in working with confidential information.
• Ability to work both independently and as a part of a collaborative team; to take both initiative and direction.
• Familiarity with nonprofits, including grant-making organizations, charitable giving funds, and/or fiscal sponsorships.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Accounting or Finance preferred.
• Minimum of three years general accounting experience, not-for-profit preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of not-for-profit accounting practices and regulations.
• Experience undergoing both external and internal audits.
• Experience managing accounts payable, accounts receivable, banking procedures in a nonprofit setting.
• Experience using QuickBooks Online and Microsoft Excel. Experience will Bill.com is a plus.
• Passion for creating opportunities for Brooklyn’s residents.
• Commitment to the Foundation’s racial equity focus and core values.
• Previous experience in a foundation preferred, but not required.
This is a full-time position located in Brooklyn, NY that occasionally requires early morning, evening, and weekend work. The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package, which includes generous paid time off, employer-paid health and dental insurance, and a friendly work environment. Brooklyn Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In alignment with its Racial Justice Lens, the Foundation is committed to maintaining a staff that diversifies philanthropy, including lifting up the leadership of people from communities historically underrepresented in the field and those directly affected by structural racism, centering them in decision-making. Additionally, the Foundation does not base any hiring decisions on an applicant’s history of involvement in the criminal justice system.
Email cover letter and résumé to [email protected] (no reference letters or phone calls please!) and please list “Staff Accountant” in the Subject line.
Brooklyn Community Foundation
- 1000 Dean Street
- Brooklyn, New York 11238