Director of Marketing & Communications
|Job Sectors:||Arts & Culture|
Director of Marketing & Communications
About the Opportunity
Ballet Hispánico (BH) seeks a highly strategic, collaborative, and engaged Director of Marketing & Communications (DoMC) to develop marketing strategies and enact an effective plan which will uplift the three integrated programs of the institution: an internationally renowned dance Company with a national footprint in the presenting world and an annual NY City Center season; the School of Dance; and the organization’s robust community engagement programs via Community Arts Partnerships. Successfully promoting each of these areas requires an authentic investment in their interdependent success and an understanding of the strength and value of the institution. Ballet Hispánico has a rich history and story to tell, and the DoMC should understand the 21st century ways to tell that story throughout a customer or supporter’s journey with the organization, regardless of their point of entry and whether they have attended a live performance or class.
BH has a current annual operating budget of approximately $7.9M, and the DoMC will play a role in driving performance income, tuition, and studio rental income, which make up approximately $3 million per year. The Company is currently scheduled for 17+ performance weeks in the 2023-24 Season, including a self-presentation at NY City Center in April 2024. BH is in the midst of a comprehensive strategic planning process to identify new opportunities to showcase and leverage the organization’s world-renowned dance company, school of dance, and thought leadership in the arts, culture, education, and social justice spaces. Candidates should be motivated to activate this work in the company’s marketing and communications efforts in the form of short and long-term plans.
Reporting to the Chief Managing Director and working closely with the Artistic Director & CEO, School of Dance Director, Chief Engagement and Inclusion Officer, and the Director of Development, the DoMC will lead and inspire the in-house staff, as well as contract publicists, graphic designers, photographers, and videographers. In this period of transition for the Marketing & Communications department, there is an opportunity to revisit how its structure can best serve the organization’s needs and goals. This is a friendly, fast-paced, and collaborative work environment that involves interacting with a variety of constituencies, including the valued artists working with Ballet Hispánico. BH balances the need for this role to build in-person relationships with these constituencies—artists, audiences, and supporters—with the value of a flexible work model. To that end, the DoMC is based in Ballet Hispánico’s office in New York, with the ability to work remotely two days per week.
About Ballet Hispánico
Ballet Hispánico is the largest Latinx/Latine/Hispanic cultural organization in the United States and one of America’s Cultural Treasures. Ballet Hispánico’s three main programs, the Company, School of Dance, and Community Arts Partnerships bring communities together to celebrate the multifaceted Hispanic diasporas. Ballet Hispánico’s New York City headquarters provide the physical home and cultural heart for Latinx dance in the United States. It is a space that initiates new inclusive cultural conversations and explores the intersectionality of Latine cultures. No matter their background or identity – Latine, Latinx, Hispanic – Ballet Hispánico welcomes and serves all, breaking stereotypes and celebrating the beauty and diversity of Hispanic cultures through dance.
Dance visionary and National Medal of Arts recipient Tina Ramirez founded Ballet Hispánico in 1970, at the height of the post-war civil rights movements. From its inception Ballet Hispánico focused on providing a haven for Black and Brown families seeking place and artistic sanctuary. By creating the space for Hispanic dance and dancers to flourish, Ballet Hispánico uplifted marginalized artists and youth, which combined with the training, cultural pride, and the power of representation, fueled the organization’s roots and trajectory. Eduardo Vilaro joined Ballet Hispánico as a Company dancer in 1985 and became the organization’s second Artistic Director in 2009 and CEO in 2015. Vilaro is building on Ramirez’s impact: By expanding, and deepening the legacy of visibilizing Latine cultures, and exposing the intersectionality and depth of diversity found in the Hispanic cultures, Vilaro’s vision has elevated a community from the margins to its place ingrained at the center of the American cultural landscape.
Today Ballet Hispánico is a catalyst for social change. Our mission opens a platform for new social dialogue, and nurtures and sees a community in its fullness. Through its exemplary artistry, distinguished training program, and deep-rooted community engagement, Ballet Hispánico champions and amplifies Latine voices in the field. For over fifty years, Ballet Hispánico has provided a place of honor for the omitted, overlooked, and othered. As it looks to the future, Ballet Hispánico is pushing the culture forward on issues of dance and Latine creative expression.
“The extraordinary act of a Latina immigrant embarking on a journey of access to the arts for a community … is a heroic example of artistic advocacy. When thinking of the years, the families, the students, the artists, and the administrators whose lives Ballet Hispánico changed, one cannot help but wonder in amazement at the power of such vision. It was this idea of service for a marginalized and silenced community that made Tina Ramirez’s founding of Ballet Hispánico unparalleled.” – Eduardo Vilaro
For more on Ballet Hispánico’s mission, impact, and programs, visit www.ballethispanico.org.
Reporting to the Chief Managing Director and working closely with the Artistic Director & CEO, School of Dance Director, Chief Engagement and Inclusion Officer, and the Director of Development, the DoMC will lead and inspire the in-house staff, as well as contract publicists, graphic designers, photographers, and videographers. In this period of transition for the Marketing & Communications department, there is an opportunity to revisit how its structure can best serve the organization’s needs and goals.
The DoMC has the following responsibilities:
Team & Organizational Leadership
● Provide leadership, direction, and guidance to the Marketing & Communications Department. Manage the marketing staff and serve as a mentor to support their development.
● Take an active role in the organization’s strategic plan, particularly around its activation among BH’s diverse array of audience segments for its different programs.
● Collaborate with other leaders of BH to achieve organization-wide goals and strengthen BH’s position as a thought leader in the dance, education, and DEI sectors.
● Engage with the Board of Directors, including a Board Marketing Committee that meets quarterly to help advance strategic priorities for the organization.
● Contribute to building a data-driven culture that leverages best in class business intelligence methodologies.
● Develop and execute truly innovative revenue enhancement strategies.
Institutional Marketing & Communications Strategy
● Direct all areas of marketing operations, including marketing strategy, public relations, digital channels, marketing collateral, and advertising.
● Create and direct strategic partnership initiatives that support the programmatic and financial growth of BH.
● Maintain a consistent brand for BH that attracts diverse audiences and continues to generate respect for the company’s contributions to New York City and 25+ US and international markets in the wider field.
● Develop a strategic approach to executing today’s most relevant digital marketing tactics using social media and digital content distribution platforms.
● Create compelling messages and cases for support that tell stories of BH’s impact.
● Manage relationships with contract publicists (Goodman Media and Michelle Tabnick PR), freelancers, and marketing vendors.
● Develop and manage marketing campaigns and initiatives’ budgets.
● Analyze marketing data to identify which campaigns and initiatives were most effective.
Performance Sales & Promotion
● Create, update, and implement a marketing plan to support program awareness, annual revenue goals and audience development, and reinforce BH’s identity through institutional marketing.
● Lead marketing campaigns for the Company’s New York Summer Season and national performances, the School of Dance Summer Intensive and yearly enrollment campaign, the Community Arts Partnership’s NY programs and national tour engagements, fundraising initiatives, and space rental.
● Work across time zones and local/touring markets as needed to ensure marketing is targeting regional audiences appropriately and consistently activating the BH brand.
● Serve as a strategic thought partner to presenting organizations and ensure that they have the marketing assets needed to appropriately support performance sales.
● Enthusiasm for the mission of BH
● 3-5 years mid-to senior-level marketing experience in the arts; savvy about current trends in marketing and audience development
● Creative and strategic thinking that takes initiative and delivers outcomes
● Understanding of when, where, how, and to whom social marketing content should be targeted and experience creating brand-driven content that builds customer connection
● Ability to work effectively under pressure, manage priorities, and meet deadlines
● Leadership and mentorship experience, as well as team building
● Ability to facilitate collaboration across multiple teams, inspiring a shared sense of ownership and accomplishment
● Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking with regards to measuring marketing performance
● Persuasive communication and presentation skills
● Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
● Demonstrable sales skills
● Strong problem-solving skills
● Knowledge of Spanish is preferred
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Research shows that cis men apply for jobs when they fulfill an average of 60% of the criteria, while others tend only to apply if they meet every requirement. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply.
We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. So, whether you’re returning to work after a gap in employment, simply looking to transition, or taking the next step in your career path, we will be glad to have you on our radar.
Please use your cover letter to tell us about what you hope to bring to this role.
The salary for this position is $115,000-125,000. Ballet Hispánico provides comprehensive benefits including health (Aetna), dental, vision, life insurance, transit and parking benefits, flexible paid time off, and 403(b) with employer match.
This is a full-time on-site role in New York City.
The Director of Marketing & Communications search is being conducted on behalf of Ballet Hispánico by Tom O’Connor Consulting Group, a New York-based executive search and consulting firm specializing in the arts and culture industries. The search is being led by Tom O’Connor and Brenna Thomas.
To apply, visit the online application (https://tinyurl.com/3vkvbpz9) and submit your materials. Your cover letter should include any training or experience relevant to the job profile that you would like to highlight, why you consider yourself a good fit for this opportunity, and anything else you’d like us to know about your qualifications that may not be present in your resume.
The priority application deadline for this search is September 1, 2023. Applications received by this date will receive priority consideration. While we will still accept and consider applications after this date, we encourage you to apply as early as possible for the best chance at being considered for the position. Please note that meeting the priority deadline does not guarantee an interview.
- 167 West 89th Street
- New York, NY 10024
To apply for this job please visit www.tomocgroup.com.