National Alumni Director/Manager
|Job Category:||Communications, Development, Programs/Services|
America Needs You (ANY) fights for economic mobility for ambitious, first-generation college students. We do this by providing transformative mentorship and intensive career development. ANY operates in New York, New Jersey, Illinois and California. Visit www.americaneedsyou.org to learn more information.
The ANY Fellows Program is an intensive two-year program for high-achieving, low-income, first-generation college students (sophomores and juniors). The program has four components: intensive career development programming, one-on-one mentorship, internships/career exposure experiences, and holistic support. Approximately 1,000 student and 1,000 volunteer alumni have completed the program – a national network that includes first-generation college graduates who are transforming their companies and communities.
The National Alumni Director/Manager (title will depend on experience) serves as the central, national resource for alumni career counseling, programming, engagement and fundraising, partnering with local market staff to implement strategies that effectively engage ANY’s alumni network of both students and volunteers. This individual will develop a robust alumni engagement structure, operational processes, and strategy informed by best practices across the education/nonprofit landscape. In addition to deploying a series of national programming and events, this individual will, in collaboration with local site leads, ensure timely and effective deployment of local programming. The role has four main focus areas: development/deployment of alumni engagement events, career counseling strategy and support, alumni fundraising and volunteerism, and data analysis/evaluation.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Loves translating strategy and big ideas into action
- Is excited about managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Is a people person and enjoys helping others make connections
- A warm, collaborative work environment with a rich culture of support and feedback
- Ongoing internal and external opportunities for professional development and training
- A generous benefits package (health and dental insurance, 403(b), FSA, three weeks of vacation, etc.)
- Connections to a large, high-powered professional network
This position is based out of our New York City headquarters and reports to the Chief Development Officer, collaborating closely with the national operations team, CEO, and local alumni leads.
Development and Deployment of Alumni Engagement Events (40%)
- Execute a spring 2020 summit in honor of ANY’s 10th anniversary including an alumni reunion to raise brand awareness, engage partners, and raise revenue
- Work with local sites to execute quarterly alumni workshops and social events across sites
- Manage a national alumni committee/board
Programming, Career Counseling Strategy and Support (25%)
- In partnership with National Program Director, enhance and formalize “Year Three” alumni programming for seniors in college – to include both national and localized career development offerings
- Serve as national “team captain” for career counseling support for all local alumni leads, ensuring they have the training, tools, and resources to support their alumni at the local level
- Hold remote career counseling and job search check-ins with alumni as needed
- Develop employment, graduate school and other tools and resources for alumni to achieve the goal of 90% full-time employment and/or graduate school enrollment within six months of undergraduate graduation
- Research and communicate job opportunities to alumni by regularly updating online platforms and conducting targeted email and social media outreach
Fundraising and Volunteer Cultivation (25%)
- Serve as the lead for ANY’s annual Alumni Challenge fundraising campaign, netting $15,000
- Work collaboratively with local site leads to engage Fellow and Mentor Coach alumni in fundraising campaigns
- Build and manage a portfolio of Fellows Circle members ($1,000+ alumni giving society)
- Capture noteworthy alumni stories and accomplishments to share with the ANY network
- Identify alumni to serve as one-time or ongoing volunteers
Data Analysis and Tracking (5%)
- Manage ongoing data collection and analysis of alumni outcomes in their senior year of college and post-graduation, especially the annual alumni survey
- Work with program staff to develop a comprehensive evaluation strategy to capture long-term outcomes related to career progression, earning potential and growth, and volunteer engagement of Fellow alumni
- Research and select the appropriate online platform to house new and enhance existing alumni resources
- Facilitate career-related content at workshops
- Additional projects and duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
The selected candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) and a minimum of 4-6 years of increasingly responsible professional level experience in alumni relations, fundraising, public affairs, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Proven track record in spearheading and marketing alumni services, events, and programs and integrating these activities is essential. Strong strategic planning, relationship building, communications, and management skills are also required.
- Willingness to work one Saturday monthly and willingness to travel once quarterly
- Ability to work across teams and departments to achieve outcomes
- Strong interpersonal and project management skills
- Impeccable organizational skills and attention to detail
- High level of energy, commitment and positivity
- Experience with event planning preferred
- Graphic design, SalesForce and Adobe Acrobat experience is a plus
- Experience working with first-generation college population is a plus
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] (subject line: National Alumni Director/Manager – Last_Name, First_Name). Please note that your application will not be considered without a cover letter. No phone calls please.
ANY celebrates diversity! We care deeply about creating a diverse and inclusive space for our Fellows, volunteers, stakeholders and staff, and we actively seek to learn from a variety of perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, (dis)ability or any other factor protected by law. We encourage talented individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
America Needs You
- New York, NY