ALIGN: The Alliance for a Greater New York is an alliance of community and labor united for a just and sustainable New York. We are a critical part of the movement to make New York a nation-leader in building worker power and a renewable energy economy. We seek a talented, motivated, and dedicated organizer to join our team as the Climate Director to ignite momentum for new and ongoing campaigns. This position will play a leadership role in the development and implementation of dynamic campaigns to advance ALIGN’s vision for economic justice, equity, and environmental sustainability in New York at the city and the state level.
The Director will be primarily responsible for leading the Green Team, the staff members who coordinate existing and future climate justice coalitions, renewable energy initiatives, and policy campaigns. They will support these staff in high level strategy at the state and local level, provide expertise on climate policy, and lead climate campaign visioning for the organization as a whole. The Director will serve as a member of the leadership team, and the Executive Director will be their immediate supervisor.
Among its many wins for New York’s climate future, ALIGN helped transform the post-Hurricane Sandy Build It Back program to rebuild NYC while bringing career jobs to impacted workers; established the Climate Works for All coalition, facilitating collaboration between community and labor that won unprecedented policies like Local Law 97 and funding for public school electrification; and, with NY Renews, helped pass the nation-leading Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, requiring the state to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050.
Position Description & Responsibilities:
- Staff Development: Supervise the Climate and Labor Organizer and future climate organizing and research staff; collaborate with the Leadership Team to ensure that staff members receive the evaluation, training, support, supervision and leadership development that they need to succeed.
- Campaign Strategy & Development: Develop visioning, planning, and strategy for climate campaigns in conjunction with staff, allies, and coalition members. Development of organizing model for coalitions and labor engagement. Participate as needed in Climate Works for All and New York Renews campaigns.
- Policy Development and Advocacy: Drive political organizing strategy to achieve policy demands, coordinate research and other needs among staff and allies, and direct external strategies such as actions and mobilizations for ALIGN’s climate campaigns.
- Fundraising and Communications: Support the Director of Finance and Development in securing funding for existing and future climate campaigns. Support the comms team in strategy development for strategic communications around climate issues.
- Organizational Health: Support practices that maintain a caring, collaborative, and effective staff team.
We recognize that people from marginalized groups may be less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
- A commitment to social, economic, climate, and racial justice and the labor movement;
- Understands ALIGN’s mission and model for building power with community and labor. Has effectively worked in community and labor spaces;
- Minimum 5 years of professional organizing experience working in a community/climate organization and/or labor union and minimum 2 years of leadership and staff management experience;
- Broad understanding of the climate policy landscape and movement;
- Familiarity with NYC and New York State policies, movements, and governmental leaders;
- Strong meeting facilitation and task delegation skills across a diverse set of organizations and constituents;
- Excellent organizational, writing, and communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience working within an organized labor union;
- Coalition coordination experience;
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus.
Terms of Employment: This is a full-time position with 100% paid healthcare options as well as generous retirement, vacation, and other benefits. The starting pay for this position is between $85,000–$95,000 annually, dependent on experience.
Application Process: Candidates are encouraged to submit applications early; the position is available immediately and is open until filled. Email cover letter, resume, and where you saw this job posting to [email protected]. Please put “Climate Director” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
ALIGN takes the health of our employees, families, and communities very seriously. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment.
ALIGN: The Alliance for a Greater New York
Economy, Environment, Equity
- 50 Broadway, 29th Floor
- New York, New York 10004
- United States