YES Abroad Specialist
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our staff from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 2,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include immersion-based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educators, schools and businesses.
This position is within the Sponsored Programs Department at AFS-USA, which manages several programs of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. Department of State (ECA), providing scholarships for adolescents to participate in international exchange. The Sponsored Programs Department focuses on implementing these programs, maintaining relationships with the funder (ECA) and other grantees, incorporating sponsored programs into overall AFS programming, and other activities. Specialists focus on a specific portfolio of grant-funded program(s), which, depending on the size and scope of programs, may encompass more than one program or may mean working in tandem with other staff on some part of a larger program or project. The YES Abroad Specialist will work most closely with the Manager of Outbound Sponsored Programs, as well as other department and division staff.
This position will focus on sending American participants on the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program, known as YES Abroad, including designing and implementing programmatic components. Core responsibilities of the role include carrying out program requirements, such as conducting orientations, managing projects, communicating with participants and domestic and international partners, communicating with volunteers, working on participant orientations and travel/logistics, carrying out program-focused projects, and reporting to the sponsor.
- Oversight and coordination of AFS partner organizations abroad for YES Abroad program implementation and projects.
- Ensure that programmatic elements and requirements specific to the program are well understood and executed.
- Co-coordinate scholarship candidate interviews throughout the U.S.
- Coordinate with staff in our Participant Support and Learning Department to facilitate the reporting and communication of participant support situations to the funder.
- Foster and maintain positive relationships cross-departmentally within the organization, with AFS volunteers, with AFS partner offices abroad, and with external partners such as the U.S. Department of State and other program implementing organizations.
- Coordinate program-specific logistics as needed, including travel, event and orientation management and content delivery, participant visas, planning and implementation both interdepartmental and intra-organizational collaboration as needed.
- Work with relevant staff, volunteers, and partners to advise and support interested candidates; produce and distribute program-specific materials for PR/marketing and contribute to social media planning and activity; collaborate interdepartmentally and externally on recruitment and marketing efforts.
- Serve as a resource for program, country, and culture-specific information for participants, staff and volunteers.
- Provide regular program and activity reporting as required by funder and as needed for program management and analysis.
- Oversee planning, logistics, travel, hiring of seasonal staffing.
- BA/BS degree
- At least 2-3 years of experience in international educational, exchange, youth programs, or equivalent
- Ability to effectively monitor plans to ensure progress on project/program goals and adapt as needed; preference for at least 2-3 years of project management experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to maintain good rapport and cooperative relationships with diverse groups of volunteers and staff
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience facilitating educational content delivery or making presentations
- Ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality regarding participant information
- Ability to work collaboratively with virtual team members
- Strong technical skills (MS Word, Excel, and Google Docs/Drive, especially)
- International/Intercultural study abroad or work experience is preferred
- Requires domestic and international travel.
- The position works remotely from the NYC area or in the NYC office (preferred).
- The regular business hours of AFS-USA are Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm eastern. However, you may work a schedule outside of these hours dependent on the needs of your department. In-person attendance during specific participant orientation events is required, which may include weekends.
The compensation for this position is $26.92/hourly. This position is eligible for overtime pay.
Benefits include: medical, dental, and vision coverage, 403b pension plan, and PTO.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
AFS-USA is committed to maintaining a culture of diversity, inclusion, and equity. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure that we have the best, most creative talent on our team.
AFS-USA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. AFS-USA prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, including behavior which targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics, such as but not limited to: race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, familial status, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alienage, citizenship status, caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, status as a certified medical marijuana patient or any other legally protected classification.
Live Without Borders
- 120 Wall St
- New York, NY 10005