OPERATIONS & HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
|Job Sectors:||Community Improvement|
frican Communities Together (ACT) is an organization of African immigrants fighting for civil rights, opportunity, and a better life for our families here in the U.S. and worldwide. ACT works to support and empower African immigrants to integrate socially, advance economically, and engage civically. ACT connects African immigrants to services, empowers our members to develop as grassroot leaders, and leads campaigns for social change. ACT’s African immigrant membership comes from a diverse range of nationalities, cultures, and languages, and is religiously diverse, majority women, and predominantly working-class and low income.
ACT has 25 employees in New York City, DC/Maryland/Virginia, and Philadelphia and is rapidly growing. ACT is seeking a full-time Operations & Human Resources Manager, to be based in either our NY or DC office, who will supervise administrative operations and human resources for our organization, under the supervision of the Executive Director and working in close coordination with ACT program and finance staff. This is a responsible, highly visible, and multi-faceted position with opportunity for growth and requires a candidate who is reliable, proactive, resourceful, organized, and has excellent people skills.
This position may be temporarily remote during periods when the office is closed due to current public health guidance regarding COVID-19. During periods when the office is open to staff, the Operations & HR Manager will be expected to work from ACT’s offices.
The Operations & HR Manager both supervises ACT’s organizational operations and manages the organization’s human resources. This role requires working directly with ACT employees, supervisory staff, vendors and contractors, and the Finance Director, under the supervision of the Executive Director.
- Manage all ACT operational vendor relationships, such as office equipment suppliers, maintenance, and telecoms, including vetting, selecting, and negotiating with new vendors when needed.
- Manage purchasing of supplies and equipment for all ACT offices and employees.
- Manage ACT’s technology and software purchasing, maintenance, and security, and supervise the organization’s I.T. contractors and vendors.
- Supervise office facilities, act as the main point of contact with building management, and address repair and maintenance issues. Ensure compliance with health and safety guidelines in office reopening and operations.
- Work with ACT’s Executive Director and legal counsel to maintain ACT’s compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations, including managing business and charity registration, compliance, and reporting.
- Work with ACT hiring staff to manage the full recruitment life cycle (post, screen, schedule, reference checks, offer, onboarding, etc.) for new hires. Assist with the development of job descriptions for all positions.
- Conduct new hire orientation and employee onboarding.
- Manage the organization’s payroll and HR platform (Gusto). Work with the Finance Director to process bi-weekly payroll.
- Work with the Executive Director and the Finance Director to develop and implement ACT’s personnel policies and procedures, develop compensation strategy, and identify process improvements.
- Administer employee benefit programs, including medical insurance, retirement plan, fringe benefits, and time-off policies.
- Support supervisors in conducting employee performance reviews. Maintain personnel records for all employees.
- Work with ACT’s Executive Director and legal counsel to maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Act as the first point of contact for HR requests and questions. Resolve employee relations issues with confidentiality and poise; escalate as needed.
- Conduct exit interviews and administer all administrative separation transactions (including benefits info, final paycheck, etc.)
- 3-5 years of directly relevant work experience, such as a role in Human Resources, Operations, or Office Administration, or a comparable role managing complex logistics, compliance, and human relations.
- Fluency and excellent communications skills in English, both spoken and written, are required. Fluency in French, Arabic, or a widely spoken African language is desirable.
- Highly organized and meticulous, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Able to build interpersonal relationships across the organization.
- Able to diagnose problems and implement appropriate solutions.
- Proficiency with information technology, including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps, online searching, vendor website use, and databases/CRM software.
- Able to handle highly sensitive information with integrity and confidentiality.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
African Communities Together is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $60,000- $70,000. ACT offers a generous benefits package that includes employer-sponsored medical, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a retirement plan. Generous paid leave policies include paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, year-end office closure, and parental leave.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume (in Word or PDF format), via this link
Applicants are encouraged to apply by August 31, 2021, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please no telephone or drop-in inquiries.
African Communities Together
organizing, african immigrants
- 127 West 127th Street, Suite 221,
- New York, NY 10027
To apply for this job please visit africancommunitiestogether.applytojob.com.