ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION Access Justice Brooklyn partners with compassionate pro bono attorneys to provide high-quality, civil legal services that help ensure equal access to the legal system. Founded in 1990 as the Brooklyn Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, Access Justice Brooklyn is an independent 501(c)(3) organization that continues offering free legal advice and representation to people who cannot afford it. Our dedicated staff and volunteer legal professionals provide direct civil legal services and assistance to Brooklyn residents living at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Our primary referral areas prioritize essential aspects of life, with a focus toward family stability, aging safely and comfortably, personal finances, housing, and freedom of movement. Staff also participate in and facilitate clinics, hotlines, and other types of legal education. Learn more about Access Justice Brooklyn by visiting www.accessjusticebrooklyn.org.
POSITION OVERVIEW Access Justice Brooklyn has an exciting opportunity for an attorney to serve as a staff attorney for its consumer law practice. The staff attorney will oversee all aspects of our Volunteer Lawyer for the Day Consumer Debt Program (VLFD) program in Kings County Civil Court, and will work with our director of legal services and staff to strengthen our consumer debt practice, including Chapter 7 bankruptcy, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act practice, and The Civil Legal Advice and Resource Office (CLARO), which delivers critical advice and representation to hundreds of litigants a year. The staff attorney will have the unique opportunity to shape Access Justice Brooklyn’s work and leadership in an evolving practice area as the economic crisis continues, requiring innovative and coordinated responses.
• Manage all aspects of the Access Justice Brooklyn’s VLFD program
• Recruit volunteer attorneys to provide pro bono representation to Access Justice Brooklyn clients by conducting CLE trainings and presentations on consumer debt and bankruptcy
• Mentor and support volunteer attorneys, law students, and staff handling consumer debt and bankruptcy matters
• Oversee CLARO clinics in Civil Court, including staffing, recruitment and supervision of volunteers and law students
• Maintain a caseload of consumer debt and bankruptcy matters
• Conduct intake and provide advice and brief services to Brooklyn residents who are proceeding pro se in consumer debt and bankruptcy matters
• Conduct and organize community outreach and “know your rights” presentations
• Prepare program reports, and assist with grant reports and proposals as needed
• Ensure milestones and programmatic goals are met
• Participate in strategic planning, program assessment, special projects and initiatives, and other organizational work as needed
• Serve on committees, task forces, and panels relating to policy issues and reform efforts
• Admission to NYS Bar is required
• Experience litigating consumer debt cases in New York State is preferred
• Experience with Chapter 7 and/or Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings is preferred
• Passion for social justice and pro bono
• Exceptional attention to detail
• Strong negotiation and litigation skills
• Strong problem-solving, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills
• Flexibility, creativity, and a sense of humor
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and prioritize while working under multiple
• Outgoing and professional demeanor for interacting with a wide range of individuals from different cultures and backgrounds
• Fluency in Spanish is helpful but not required
Competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical; dental; vision; life, accidental death, and long-term disability insurance; 401K plan with employer match; flexible spending accounts; pre-tax transit program; and liberal Paid Time Off policy.
Email resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
Access Justice Brooklyn is an equal opportunity employer. We actively recruit and seek to grow and maintain a diverse staff, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, and national origin; disability; socioeconomic background; and sexual orientation and gender identity.
Access Justice Brooklyn
- 44 Court St
- Brooklyn, New York 11201
- Phone: 7186243894
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com