Access Justice Brooklyn partners with compassionate pro bono attorneys to provide high-quality, civil legal services that help ensure equal access to the legal system. Founded in 1990 as the Brooklyn Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, Access Justice Brooklyn is an independent 501(c)(3) organization that continues offering free legal advice and representation to people who cannot afford it. Our dedicated staff and volunteer legal professionals provide direct civil legal services and assistance to Brooklyn residents living at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Our primary referral areas prioritize essential aspects of life, with a focus toward family stability, aging safely and comfortably, personal finances, housing, and freedom of movement. Staff also participate in and facilitate clinics, hotlines, and other types of legal education. Learn more about Access Justice Brooklyn by visiting www.accessjusticebrooklyn.org.
Access Justice Brooklyn has an exciting opportunity for a legal assistant to support all of Access Justice Brooklyn’s practice areas. This position is currently hybrid (2 days a week in the office) with the expectation of increasing the number of days in the office as the organization deems necessary.
· Perform intake with prospective clients
· Staff front desk and supervise intake interns as needed
· Provide brief information and/or referrals to clients seeking legal assistance
· Provide legal assistance, under attorney supervision, to clients including preparing uncontested divorces
· Assist staff attorneys on foreclosure, consumer debt, bankruptcy, family law, and other practice areas
· Assist with litigation support, drafting documents, legal research, and client follow-up
· Train, orient and supervise in-house volunteers and interns on intake procedures, computer and phone systems, and client database
· Serve as an administrator of client database and serve as liaison with IT consultants and other vendors
· Provide administrative assistance to the office and President & Chief Executive Officer
· Enter client information into database and ensure that information is up-to-date and correct
· Prepare data reports for programs and funders
· Provide translation and interpretation services to staff and clients as needed
· Provide legal administrative support to legal staff as needed.
· Assist with the organization of trainings, special events, and outreach activities
· Commitment to social justice
· Litigation support experience is helpful
· Experience with low-income clients, and familiarity with public benefits, bankruptcy, consumer debt, and housing law is helpful
· Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication, writing and computer skills
· Knowledge of Excel, Word, and Outlook required
· Skills in HTML, SPSS, editing/creating PDF files, database management, reporting, statistical analyses, and outcomes measurement are a plus
· Exceptional attention to detail
· Strong problem-solving, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills
· Flexibility, creativity, and a sense of humor
· Ability to thrive in fast-paced environment and prioritize while working under multiple deadlines
· Outgoing and professional demeanor for interacting with a wide range of individuals from different cultures and backgrounds
· Fluency in Spanish is required
Salary range of $45,000-$55,000 commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical; dental; vision; life, accidental death, and long-term disability insurance; 401K plan with employer match; flexible spending accounts; pre-tax transit program; and liberal Paid Time Off policy.
Email resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please put “Legal Assistant” in the subject line. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
Access Justice Brooklyn is an equal opportunity employer. We actively recruit and seek to grow and maintain a diverse staff, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, and national origin; disability; socioeconomic background; and sexual orientation and gender identity.
Access Justice Brooklyn
- 44 Court St
- Brooklyn, New York 11201